Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Michael Talbot-Wilson (mtw@calypso.view.net.au)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 05:59:38 +1030 (CST)

On 5 Jan 1999, david parsons wrote:

> In article <linux.kernel.AAC2Masag2@khim.sch57.msk.ru>,
> Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
>
> >PB> Phooey. /var/X11/lib/xdm was alive and well on SuSE last time I looked.
> >PB> And on redhat too probably.
> >
> >Not, of course. It's in /etc/X11/xdm as it should be according to FHS:
>
> This means that it's important to know the distribution when you're
> building things, so you can figure out which version of the `FHS'
> the vendor is using so you can know where configuration files live
> today on your distribution of choice.

It could mean that you can't update XFree with binaries from
xfree86.org. It is odd (broken?) that FHS would re-invent this.

FWIW, /etc/X11/xdm is a symlink to /var/X11R6/lib on Slackware 3.5
I.e. alive and well.

--
Michael Talbot-Wilson ------------------- mtw@calypso.view.net.au