Re: Random PPP Dropouts

Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:21:08 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Will Lotto wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I am running kernel 2.2.0-pre4, with pppd 2.3.5, I use a dial on demand system
> > for accessing the internet `pon provider' and I get disconnected from my ISP
> > after about 1 hour of connection. If I quickly re-connect it doesn't happen
> > again, but it is costing me phone calls so I thought I'd report it.
> >

> I could reproduce this problem with ISDN and ipppd. When the connection seems
> to be blocked on the second dial, then there is a duplicate entry in the
> routing table:
>
> {harri@bilbo:harri 1} netstat -nr
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0

Hi Harri,

This was driving me nuts. It appeared with pre1, and I reversed just
about the entire patch piece by piece until just about the only thing
left was drivers and the makefile version changes. You guessed it..
the makefile changes. I haven't figured out why yet, but I now have a
pre1 with everything except that, and the annoying route and demand dial
problems are gone. 'Course it has an identity crisis, (it thinks it's
2.1.132) but it works.

-Mike

-Mike