Re: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:12:32 +1300

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 05:08:05PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Well, rsync seems to be the best currently available. The problem
> is more with using FTP than anything; it simply isn't a good
> protocol for automatic use.

Whilst in theory I completely agree -- I have to say we've got
several GB of archives that mirror using ftp (using the perl mirror
scripts) and on the whole it does work very well... it fully
automated, I never hear from it unless there are problems -- which
are infrequent.

What problems are you seeing with ftp -- I assume you are aware the
perl mirror script has a multitude of knobs to turn to help alleviate
some of these problems?

-cw