Re: New patch-kernel, please test

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 12:54:10 -0500

Nick Holloway wrote:

> bgerst@quark.vpplus.com (Brian Gerst) writes:
> > I rewrote the patch-kernel script to accept patch filenames from the
> > command line. This is helpful with patches that don't follow the normal
> > increment (ie, *-acX, *-preX, etc.) Please test it before I send it to
> > Linus.
>
> I don't think (as the original author) patch-kernel should be modified
> for application of non-Linus patches. This just adds to the chances
> of the naive user getting themselves into trouble (for example, the -ac
> patches need reversing before application, a hot fix from Tytso or test
> patch posted by Linus to linux-kernel needs reversing before applying
> the proper patch, etc).

I have changed none of the default functionality of the script. It
still auto-patches as before. As far as reversing patches, I have a
newer version of the script which allows reverse patching. Ex:
patch-kernel -R patch-2.2.0-pre4-ac1.bz2 patch-2.2.0-pre4-ac2.bz2
would reverse the -ac1 patch then apply -ac2. It would actually make it
EASIER and less error prone to use these type of patches.

> I see patch-kernel as a safe way for non-expert users to upgrade a
> vanilla Linus tree, saving the need to pull across the whole tree on
> each revision. Anything more complicated than that, and I feel you are
> in the realms of expert users, who should know what they are doing when
> dealing with non-Linus patches.

Again, the default functionality is the same as before. Just because I
am an expert user doesn't mean I don't want to use a script to automate
this type of task.

> I have already posted a modified patch-kernel to deal with the
> 2.2.0-preX patch series, but again, I don't think this should be part
> of the distributed source -- it becomes obsolete as soon as 2.2.0 hits
> the streets.

I would not be surprised if Linus kept this convention for future
prereleases.

--

Brian Gerst