Re: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency

Nat Lanza (magus@cs.cmu.edu)
04 Jan 1999 13:17:36 -0500

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> writes:

> Ah, a bandwidth waster!
>
> It is much more disturbing that most sites don't carry bz2 files.
> I've been forced to waste 25% more bandwidth and disk space because
> of this problem.

Oh, please. Like gzip vs. bzip2 is even close to as bad as people
downloading fresh new tarballs instead of patches? If you're really
concerned about bandwidth, try solving the bigger problem first.

Like it or not, gzip is easier for many people, and will remain so for
quite a while.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs