Re: ASUS CD ROM 340 & 2.1.129+ dont work but work fine with 2.0.35+

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 12:25:04 -0800

Jens Axboe wrote:

> Thomas Davis wrote:
> > well, I've got a Wearnes 32x CD, that works fine under 2.0.xx, but only
> > works as pure cdrom drive under 2.1.xx (no audio, no eject, no extra
> > features - but you can still mount it and read iso9660 filesystems)
> >
> > In fact, you get no messages out of the kernel about it - it fails when
> > you try to query the drive for it's configuration.
>
> How does it fail?

it fails cdrom_mode_sense silently; I had to turn on all the error
messages to get something out of it (underrun if I remember correctly; I
don't have the system in front of me here..)

So, in ide_cdrom_probe_capabilities, there's a do loop (close to the
begining of the function), that if the # of attempts to get sense data
<= 0, it just plain returns. Well, this drive tickles that, so it still
works as stated, but all other features are disabled (even though they
work..) I think at least, it should say something HERE, that the drive
failed trying to get the sense data...

Not sure what the drive's problem is; it works for eject/audio/door
locking under 2.0.35; but none of the above works with 2.2.x (last
checked with 2.2.2pre1, w/AC2)