Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@goldbach.in-berlin.de)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 08:50:49 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Dirk H Hohndel wrote:

> > FBDev is designed to do things the right way, ie. use acceleration
> > when it is available (in user space of course!) or just run
> > non-accelerated when no acceleration is available. It is very similar
> > to the concept of the SVGA server I'd say except for letting the
> > kernel deal with mode-switching.
>
> And therefore the standard XFree86 server (as of 4.0) should be made fbdev
> aware. Don't try to move all the 3.x acceleration stuff into yet another
> server. That's a waste of time...

I've a fbdev-aware XF86_SVGA Server up and running. fbdev integrated as
"chipset". No vga register i/o needed. Runs accelerated on top of
matroxfb, even if the board is installed as secondary display.

Initializing the matrox acceleration code needs only 10 lines of code
(fill one variable with the PCI-ID and mmap() the mmio-space). I was
surprised that it was _that_ simple....

Gerd