Re: IP Firewalling/Redirect

Major'Trips' (major@jimco-fwt.com)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 23:45:50 -0600

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 05:50:38AM -0600, Major'Trips' wrote:
> Problems came when I tried to ping/telnet ..ect.. ( use anything
> other then nslookup ). The request would hang and I would get back
> something to the aspect of "host not found" after a timeout period.

I found that this is happneing due to a conflict of intertests.
Ping/Telnet/ect.. do not appear to trust the named reponse
comming from port 54 since the original destination was port
53. Thusly they return an icmp udp port unreachable in return.

I would "think" ( yes I bet you can smell the smoke too ) that
the reason for this lack of trust in the response would be
related to DNS Spoofing or some such. Anyway.

I think I said this in another reply, but for the sake of this
one beeing shorter I would say that I would have throught the
transparent proxy support would have made the port redirection
transparent to the remote and local application.

Thusly I would reccomend that apon handling a redirection on
the input I would think the output of that port would need to
be translated in some way to perform a trully transparent
feature.

--
   "Reality is what you can get away with!"
                      ++Robert Anton Wilson