Re: core files

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 22:37:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> I do not know how hard writing of userland coredumper is, mj says it
> is possible and not that hard. I do not think this is important... I
> may play with it on one cloudy day.

I'd prefer to see it remain in-kernel, mainly because it may need to be
privy to knowledge that is most easily obtained in-kernel (if the process
load address is variable, for example), and because it can safely be
considered an atomic and robust process if it is in the kernel. (Yes, I
know, putting it in the kernel doesn't make it bug free. But we can keep
the existing code that _does_ seem to be bug free.)

The private-knowledge aspect isn't crucial: to set up a debugger, the same
information will need to be available through ptrace. But mostly I'd just
prefer to leave something alone if it isn't broken.