Re: While applying patch-2.2.0-pre2.gz

Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:24:17 +0000

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 05:09:03PM +0100, Rik van Riel wrote:
> You should try keeping your kernel source under CVS, since
> CVS mangles the revision numbers in some files I always
> get about a dozen or so .rej files when patching the kernel.

If you mark the CVS files with `cvs admin -kb', then it won't mangle the
revision nmbers.

Personally I don't use CVS for the kernel tree because it's so slow. I
maintain local patches, undo them before upgrading from Linus, then
reapply the patches. I use `gendiff' to maintain the patches, and
meaningful backup file names.

-- Jamie