Re: further xtime race fixes [was Re: [patch] fix for xtime SMP race]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:43:34 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> > Here the patch against 2.1.132 to make get_time_fast() SMP safe:
>
> This patch will fix also all other raw accesses to xtime. I think it's

Linus I seen you have not included my get_xtime()-s/xtime/__xtime/ patch.
Am I missing something and the patch was not needed? I think that without
that patch some place of kernel could use a not consistent xtime value
because they are reading xtime without any lock (there could be a bh
handler or a syscall that is modifying xtime running at the same time on
the other CPU). I know the window is very small though...

Andrea Arcangeli