Re: util-linux and 2.2

Paul Flinders (paul@dawa.demon.co.uk)
03 Jan 1999 08:44:57 +0000

Thomas Molina <tmolina@probe.net> writes:

> 2.1.x up through x=132 has been working well. Thamks guys. Today I get
> the chance to go through the Changes file to update my RedHat 5.2 system
> for all the 2.2 requirements; everything goes well except for
> util-linux, which Changes lists v 2.9 as being required for 2.2.
> Therein lies the problem.
>
> Updating util-linux to 2.9 requires an updated libslang. Updating
> libslang would break numerous other packages, including gecko, lynx,
> slrn, etc. In particular I can't lose lynx and slrn. Updating those
> packages requires further updates. Now I'm stuck in a twisty maze of
> circular dependencis, all alike.

The easiest way out of this problem is to build a new binary rpm from
the util-linux 2.9 source rpm.

Rpm dependancies reflect what was on the machine when the binary rpm
was built much more than the actual mnimum revisions of other packages
which are needed featurewise. Eg a package could build and work fin
with either libc5 or glibc but if you build a binary rpm on a glibc
system it won't install on a libc5 system.