Re: 'make menuconfig' crash in 2.2.0-pre*

Luca Montecchiani (m.luca@usa.net)
Sun, 03 Jan 1999 02:09:01 +0100

Alan Cox wrote:

> Can you try and find out what it is saying. I have this working beautifully on
> RH 5.2, but I've had enough reports that either some version of a tool used
> by menuconfig or similar has a bug in some configuration
>
> Is everyone with a problem using bash 2.0, or the same distribution ?

Ok, let me say, I'm using Debian 2 kernel 2.2.0-pre3 with
GNU bash, version 2.01.1(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
and the problem is always reproducible with this simple steps:

1) cd /usr/src/linux
2) mv .config .config.ORG
3) make menuconfig
4) move the cursor over the "Character devices --->" submenu with down
key
5) press "space key" to select this submenu
6) move the cursor over the "Mice --->" with down key ( strange jump
here )
7) press "space key" to select this submenu
8) finally move the cursor down until last entry "< > PC110 digitizer
pad support"
9) make: *** [menuconfig] Error 139 ( on my Linux box )

This from my mail to Peter:

Hi Peter,

Find it ! :) It's funny but this appear *only* when I use
"space" instead of *Enter* to select submenus :)))

Since the menuconfig report:

> Arrow keys navigate the menu. <Enter> selects submenus
--->.
> Highlighted letters are hotkeys. Pressing <Y> includes, <N>
excludes,
> <M> modularizes features. Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for
Help.
> Legend: [*] built-in [ ] excluded <M> module < > module capable

this is a my mistake ( but space acts like Enter ;).

If you can reply this with my test using space instead enter key
I think that this information can be shared with other in the ml too
or maybe this is a well know situation ;)

Luca Montecchiani