Re: I vote for incrimenting the version number to 3.0.0

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 19:55:30 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: david parsons <o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s>
Newsgroups: mlist.linux.kernel
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 2:19 AM
Subject: Re: I vote for incrimenting the version number to 3.0.0

>In article <linux.kernel.19981231090227.A4678@visi.net>,
>Ben Collins <bmc@visi.net> wrote:
>>On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 07:56:45PM -0500, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>>> Have it more sellable is just a nice side effect, my main argument is
that
>>> the amount of changes and additions to the kernel justifies its version
>>> being incrimented to 3.0.0. A .2 upgrade usually denotes a minor
upgrade.

>>Actually way back when versions were generally standard across the
>>the different software programs a .x increase was considered major
>>feature enhancement, while .0.x was considered interim bug fix
>>releases. Full version increases were generally left for what most
>>considered _full_ rewrites and major overhauls.
>
> I can think of one good reason to up the version number to 3.0;
> if parts of the interface have been broken (I'm thinking about
> pty major numbers here; If other things have changed, it's even
> more of a reason) a major number change at least gives a hint
> that "Hey! You'll have to remake the *ENTIRE* world if you want
> to upgrade to this system."

Actually this is the main reason I thought uping the version number may
be a good idea, from what I've seen it looks as if s good number of
associated programs will have to be changed when the kernel is upgraded on
2.0.x systems.

>>The increase from kernel 1 to 2 saw, iirc, ext2, elf, and a slew of over
>>changes. It generally changed the way we ran Linux.
>
> Actually it didn't -- I was running elf-based binaries with 1.2.13
> and for several years the extent of the changes I did for a 2.0.x
> kernel was just that -- I booted with a 2.0.x kernel instead of
> 1.2.13 and ignored the stupid flock messages. Internally, 2.0.x
> may have been massively redone, but the published interfaces stayed
> close enough to 1.2.13 so that it was an incremental upgrade.

Same here I was using elf and the ext2 filesystem long before 2.0.0.
The only main thing I had to change was to fix several perl programs.