Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@geert.cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 21:38:03 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > This is exactly what XF68_FBDev does.
>
> As I already mentioned, XF86_FBDev does nothing of the sort. It's just a
> stupid frame buffer driver.

The version in XFree86 3.3.3 indeed is. But development goes on.

And BTW, XF86_FBDev does support on-the-fly mode switching, like most other
XFree86 servers.

> > The experimental version with hardware acceleration (for NCR77C32BLT, ATI
> > Mach64 and IMS Twin Turbo)
>
> So are you going to duplicate all of the other X servers inside the
> XF86_FBdev driver? Be my guest, but don't expect me to think very highly
> of the project.

For the current XFree86 3.3.x line that's indeed the only possible way. If you
look at the changes for ATI Mach64, you can see that very few changes are
required. Many changes were due to portability (PPC is big endian).

> I assume this will be a non-issue once XF86 4.0 with loadable acceleration
> modules are out, then it's just a matter of just not using the mode setup
> code. But again, I don't see why there would be a XF86_FBdev at all even
> then.

For the XFree86 4.0 line, there will be _one_ X server only. Making it frame
buffer device aware on Linux should not be that difficult.

The main difference between an accelerated frame buffer device based X server
and a `classical' X server is that video mode programming and colormap
updates are now handled by the kernel. The X server still has to take care of
acceleration engine setup and accelerated operations. If there's a clean
separation between these two functionalities (video mode programming vs.
acceleration), this is a question of some `if (use_fbdev)' statements.

As usual, all help is welcome! Like for all mortals, my spare time is
limited, too... And I don't own any ia32 boxes, I do m68k/PPC/AXP only.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be