Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3]

Manuel J. Galan (manolow@step.es)
Sat, 02 Jan 1999 14:41:36 +0000

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Gerd Knorr wrote:
[...]
> > > I never had problems to mix the accelerated XFree86 Server with fbcon
> > > (matrox mystique, both vesafb and matroxfb work fine). The FBDev Server
> > > works too, of cource.
> >
> > Good. However, some interaction does seem to exist, as I've gotten reports
> > of the Matrox X server being extremely slow to paint the screen with the
> > new framebuffer code as of 2.1.132. That must be something else than just
> > modeswitching.
>
> FBDev or SVGA Server?

SVGA server is very fast (but in my case needs sw_cursor option because
of not being friends to fb) FBDev server is extremely slow and CPU
consuming.

A directory listing under xterm is pathetically slow...

I think that Geert has added ATI-Mach64 acceleration to FBDEV and maybe
the same is needed for Matrox.