Re: scary ext2 filesystem question

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
2 Jan 1999 14:53:59 +0100

Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr writes:

> I found your oneliner very useful, but still have to say that the most
> tedious part is not modifying files, but writing down all reported
> inode numbers (from fsck pass). If you have lots of disk space, fsck
> can take some time, and you're spending that time watching the screen,
> writing inode numers in a hurry, so you can check later if any major
> corruption happened.

It should be reasonably simple to teach fsck to link all files with problems
to /lost+found (but make /lost+found mode 600 before you do that...).

> When in fact, fsck should tell you to go and get some coffee in a
> local pub, if it starts running on any FS bigger than GB or two. :)

I have a 4-GB file system that gets completely fsck'ed in a minute or so.

The fact that it holds exactly two files (both of them 2 GBytes big...)
should be telling, of course -- fsck speed is more a function of the number
of inodes in use than of the number of blocks.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/