Re: kernel.org

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 20:13:07 -0500

Jason Burrell wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 05:39:40PM -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> > Is anonymous access to kernel.org permanently gone now?
>
> The message would lead me to believe that it's just overloaded. On the
> other hand, the site was heavily burdened by people grabbing full
> source trees with every version instead of patches so maybe they shut
> it down. At least that's what I remember reading on the kernel list.

Well, ever since the mirrors started, I haven't been able to get to
www.kernel.org. Even during non-peak hours (4am EST). It just seems
that with the round-robin mirrors, you're playing russian roulette with
what you will find on the mirror-of-the-minute.
Some have only .gz, some only .bz2, some both. Some only have 2.2, some
have all kernels. A better thing to do would be to list all the mirrors
directly (but keep the www.xx.kernel.org), so that people can find what
mirror works best for them, instead of getting a random mirror every
time they check for a new kernel.

--

Brian Gerst