Re: 2.2.0pre1 OOPS on boot.

J. S. Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:57:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Kris Karas wrote:

> [...] A script, run at the start of 'make {x|menu}config' (or other
> 'make' target) could examine /proc/cpuinfo and friends to set the defaults
> appropriately prior to invoking the config UI.

This assumes a working /proc/cpuinfo, which until recently did not detect
my Cyrix anywhere near correctly.

In a similar vein: Alan, was rdtsc actually working in 2.2.0pre1acX, or was
the "patch up do_{fast,slow}timeoffset" code avoiding rdtsc? And if it
*was* working, has anyone got any idea why it worked in 2.2.0pre1acX and
not 2.2.0pre1?

And lastly, given that, if I remember correctly, the Cyrix Cx5x86 was
essentially a fast 486, and the Cyrix Cx6x86 is (almost) a Pentium-class
processor, why is a Cyrix Cx6x86 reported as i686? Shouldn't it say i586,
since it's (nearly) Pentium-class?

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell | Networking/Telecommunications Engineer, GXC
ankh@canuck.gen.nz   | PGP key at http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html