Re: My worst nightmare has come true...

Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:58:20 +0000 ( )

Very simple: it appears that Macintosh Partiton map support is broken when
booted with quik. This is from memory so it may be inacurate:

With quik:

sda (unknown partition map):
hda (unknown partition map):
Kernel panic: Failed to mount root fs on XX:XX

With BootX (yuck):
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
[Booting continues normally]

This seems to affect 2.1.130-2.2pre2 but not 2.1.127. I am not sure about
.129.

It isn't a configuration problem, becuase I have tried a precompiled
R5-pre kernel (2.2pre2) with both and only BootX works.

I think that tonight I will dig out my 2.1.125 and see if it is a kernel
problem or a problem with quik or my installation.

On previous posts on linuxppc-user, I was ranting on about how BootX
should not be the default bootloader over quik and etc... So it's not my
favorite situation to need to use BootX.