Re: small addition to keyboard driver propose with patch

Stanislav V. Voronyi (stas@cnti.uanet.kharkov.ua)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:37:51 +0200

In message <368AC671.8A50E526@cs.net.pl> Marcin Dalecki writes:

>"Stanislav V. Voronyi" wrote:
>>
>> In message <368A5066.4557CA9B@cs.net.pl> dalecki writes:
>>
>> >Yes that's what I'm doing. I preffer to work under X11 if there is need
>>
>> If you can work only under X its good, but I work as sysadmin
>> in ISP, and almost all machines which I have its a diferent kind of
>> servers, and almost on all of this machines X even not instaled.

>There UNICODE doesn't matter for console.

Unicode may be, but UTF-8 is very useful f.e. for naming files
with cyrillic letters.

>> >for
>> >fluffy features. However one can't disable the unicode desease in the
>> >current kernel!
>>
>> Unicode is not desease. In Poland you have only 3 or four letters
>> diferent from ASCII. And diferences between english l and polish is minimal,

>This is just plain wrong (by a magnitude):

> ±¡êʳ£ñѼ¬¿¯óÓ¶¦æÆ (ISO8859-2)

If type all ukrainian letters in that manner one string is not enough.
You type only 9 letters with uppercase one. In ukrainian I have 37! - more
than 3 time greater. In addition there are 5! different cyrillic codetables
(866, ISO8859-5, Koi8, Mac, Win1251). If count their modifications will
be almost 10. So as for me only Unicode (UTF as variant) can solved all problems
what we have with cyrillic letters.

>And by the way Polish has more similiarities with Ukrainian then english
>obviously. Even more then with Russian :-). Razgawaritje po ruski?
>(Ehm. I know there are hardly Ukrainians talking ukrajiñski jêzyk.)

I cat speak russian, ukrainian, english and henrew a litle. Yes polish
and ukrainian very similiar languages in speaking, but polish use latin letters
for writing but ukrainian use cyrillic.

>> but I live in Ukraine & need 37 cyrrilic letters absolutely different from

>Before Stalin told them different the Ukrainians used the same scripting
>system as in Poland.

There was 50 years ago. You can also remember that 1000 years ago
was only one pra-slavonic language. But we live now in a real world.

>> any latin. And as for me Unicode is very useful. Even on textual console.

>For You ISP job?! BTW. the implementation I'm suggesting isn't going to
>make Your work
>any more difficult. It's the CLIENT side wich is of relevance.

>> And if this Unicode stuff annoyed for you it can be implemented
>> as a configurable option.

>Not easy. and it isn't currently this way...

I need no more than one hour to make all unicode stuff in current
console driver as a configurable option. Since you know russian one saying
for you "lomat' ne stroit'" ;-).

SY, Stanislav Voronyi.

PS. Hapy new year, hapy new kernel.