[off-topic solution] Re: 663.55 BogoMips (Win95 crash)

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:05:49 +0100

On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 03:32:25PM -0500, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
> This is also why the K6 got bit in the ass by a Windows 95 bug that
> didn't show up under Pentium-2 boxes. M$ did a simple timing loop and
> would take the result of that timing loop and divide a number by it.
> Well, the K6 (350 or above) ran it so fast that the result ended up
> being 0..
>
> Boom.. kernel crash.. unchecked divide by zero on boot-up. Sometimes
> it would boot, sometimes it would not.
>
> The really annoying thing about that whole situation is that M$ made
> people pay money to get it fixed (~$50 depending on the type of
> license you had).. well, of course that file got spread around
> everywhere on the net not soon after but that still angers me.

The corresponding bug fix is available for free from AMD, check their
web/ftp sites. In case you cannot find it, I might try to look up the
URL. I got it from there and installed it, all went smooth. Haven't
really tested it since I bought only a K6-2/300 not faster.

Please *do* *not* respond to the Linux lists, this is horribly
off-topic here.

--
Matthias Andree