Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

David Feuer (david@feuer.his.com)
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 01:22:13 -0500 (EST)

See bottom of page for the message (pine misconfigured right now....).

David Feuer
dfeuer@his.com
dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu
Open Source: Think locally; act globally.
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> # The US Constitution and the US legal system have an interesting view
> # of the question--and it isn't what most people think it is. Their
> # view is that patents don't exist for the sake of patent owners. The
> # official reason for patents in the US is "to promote progress."
>
> While I've been following this thread for what seems to be years now,
> something has struck me as being missed by most posters.
>
> We all must remember that regardless of the literature, the United States
> isn't a democracy[1]. We are a country ruled by corporations and
> businesses. Our laws are in that direction was well as the apparent "will"
> of our leaders.
>
> Patents, copyrights, personal rights, intellectual rights: step back a
> second a look at the laws that govern those concepts. There is a definate
> pattern. They provide rights in favor of business, and reinforce personal
> behavior patterns that benefit them.

They didn't start out this way....... Oh well.

> Things aren't going to change here, I'm afraid. Though it goes against the
> grain of my programming self, in this case we need to think solely about
> 'work arounds', not 'bug fixes' because we never will get our way.

The generic patent workaround: come up with something ever-so-slightly
better and patent it. For example: given a patented compression
algorithm, if you can come up with a new one that
a) compresses files over 5GB to 1 bit less than the original
b) adds some implicit redundancy coding.
c) runs 1% faster on a PCjr or
d) uses 4 bytes less memory.

> <pessimism off>
>
> My $0.02 ...
>

> [1] which, imho, is a very poor choice for a system of government.
> Popularity != ability to lead.

So how would you structure the government? It is awfully hard to come up
with a system in which the ability to lead plays a major role.