Re: Mysterious X problem(s)...

Joe Newby (ljnewby@ipa.net)
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 00:10:55 -0600

tarquin@texas.net wrote:

> Symptoms: Popup menus completely hosing the system. No oops log, no
> keyboard, no process switching, complete lockup. Midis hang, mouse quits,
> keyboard quits. Occurs under UP 2.0.35, 2.0.36, and SMP 2.1.131ac9.
>
> XF86_S3V server: fvwm2 menus kill system
> XF86_SVGA server: fvwm2 survives, xemacs and netscape kill system
> turning on noaccel causes fvwm2 to break again.
>
> With a Cirrus Logic GD5430 card, X survives, but consumes ungodly amounts
> of CPU time and misbehaves when moving windows.
>
> I have not had the machine die or misbehave at the console, so this may be
> an X problem. However, the fact that the machine gets completely hosed
> without any error logging seems to suggest that it might be something
> deeper.
>
> System:
>
> Chaintech P6DBU board, 09/17/98 BIOS
> dual PII 300 SL2W8's running at rated speed.
> 64 MB 10ns SDRAM
> unused onboard Ultra2 SCSI
> onboard PCI IDE
> JTS Palladium 1.6 GB IDE
> Maxtor 8.4 GB IDE
> WD Caviar 2420 420 MB IDE
> ISA NE2000 clone
> SB32PnP sound, with 8 MB onboard
> Creative Labs Voodoo2, 12 MB onboard
> 8x IDE CD
> 1.44 MB floppy
> 3 button PS/2 mouse
> Generic PS/2 keyboard
> Generic 4MB S3 Virge
>
> John Allensworth --- tarquin@texas.net --- ReaperMan on the QuakeServers
> Author of XtraWeapons (except the homing missile, eject, and throwing axe)
> Industrial Strength Gaming http://www.uk.digiserve.com/whiteoak/punktc/
> Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.
>
> -

I have had similar problems with X Windows. The main similarity I see
between our systems is the Cirrus Logic Video. Mine is a Cirrus Logic 5434.
Like you, I have no such trouble at the console, but window operations are
very erratic, i.e., X crashing whenever I stick/unstick a window or
resize/raise/lower a window. In some cases, Netscape causes the X Server to
crash at random intervals. This does not always happen, but if I force X
Windows to operate in 8 bit video mode, the problems disappear. My color
depth is reduced to a paltry 256 colors, but the server runs.