Re: if my new update_shared_mappings() races, vmtruncate is just racing , too

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 20:55:16 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> hard: I couldn't do it without some really obvious deadlock issues, and I
> suspect it needs some serious designing to get right.

Agreed.

> so. It's not a good rule, but it at least doesn't deadlock.

I am happy that it seems I have understood the code right ;) and I
finished thinking your same thing.

I tried to not base the thread safety of update_shared_mappings() on
lock_kernel() but I can' t do that because I was always going to deadlock
in down() some way...

The first ostacle is that to get the vma with find_vma() (I need the vma
to know which other shared mappings are in the game) I need the mmap_sem
semaphore held and so I am forced to down() on the mmap_sem of the current
process as first thing so I can' t do an ordered down() to avoid
deadlocking...

Andrea Arcangeli