Re: select/poll on files/dirs ?

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@aivazian.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:10:06 +0000 (GMT)

Merry Christmas to you too, Frank.
But I thought select(2) already works on regular files in a predictable
manner, i.e. the descriptor sets are "always ready", so it is kind of
uninteresting. More interesting is the Asynchronous I/O issue. I remember
asking about aio_ support in the kernel and somebody pointing me to some
userspace implementation. But I can't understand how can reliable
asynchronous I/O (to both regular files and block devices) be implemented in
userspace (in HP/UX one has /dev/async for that, in Adabas one has
/dev/adabas/async etc etc). So I am still wondering whether asynchronous
I/O implementation in the kernel is a thing on TODO list or not.

Regards,
Tigran A. Aivazian, http://www.aivazian.demon.co.uk/