Re: Raw-io & Swap partitions

InfraRED/Veres Tibor (infrared@aurora-borealis.satimex.tvnet.hu)
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:52:40 +0100 (CET)

On 22-Dec-98 Khimenko Victor wrote:
> Hm. You are not only clueless but you also do not want to think for
> minute :-((
> Swap partition is improvement of the same level as raw I/O. The only
> excuse for
> them is that they are already in kernel...

Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think, that the main improvement on
using swap partitions over swap files is seek time, and both swapping and
database apps share the behaviour, that they are seeking a lot, and not
reading the file sequentialy.

On partition you can guarentee constant seek time, no matter how big it
is. On ext2 seek time is in the magnitude of log(n), where n is the file
size, while on FAT is in the mag. of n. This is while I'd never recommend
using a shared swap file with windoze... on a FAT partiotion..

--
InfraRED of aurora-borealis/Veres Tibor
E-Mail: infrared@aurora-borealis.satimex.tvnet.hu