Alliance == vaporware? -NOT

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:29:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

A while ago we were discussing Freedows/Alliance and
most people agreed that Freedows is vaporware (still
is) and so Alliance wouldn't be any better.

guess again :)

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:54:18 +0100
From: Ramon van Handel <vhandel@chem.vu.nl>
To: alliance-os@egroups.com, alliance-kernel@egroups.com,
freedows-alliance@egroups.com
Subject: [alliance-kernel] New tree

The new source tree is out !!!

Get it here:
http://www.noterik.nl/ramon/alliance/alliance-internal-981221.tar.gz

Changes from latest CVS tree:
- CK system calls are now accessed through call gates
- User threads are now running in user mode, not supervisor mode

The new tree is not yet in CVS.

Due to popular demand, a small piece about the status of the CK:

What is done:
- Scheduler (realtime/timesharing) is done
- Physical page allocation is mostly done (Buddy alghorithm)
- CK memory micromanagement (free list) is mostly done
- System Object manager:
- Caching objects works
- Uncaching objects works
* Both of the above use Object Dependency Graph code, done
- Object-specific caching code for threads and address space, but it is bound
to change as new object types are coded.
- System calls: going through call gates (done for existing calls)
- IOC system: beginnings done, code to fetch/set page mappings. Not yet ready

- Bootloader (done,) system boots (has been doing so for a very long time)
- Timesharing and relatime demotasks are working

What is going to be done soon:
- I'm working on kernel caching and interrupt forwarding
- Jens is probably going to finish IOC and work on MM (Jens, we need to discuss
this. I'll mail you soon.)

This is about it (I probably forgot some stuff that is done, get the code
if you're interested.) The other teams will have to post status updates of
their own.

Ramon

---
Ramon van Handel   <vhandel@chem.vu.nl>
Chemistry Student, OS Programmer and all-round Weirdo
"They could but make the best of it, and went around with woebegone faces
sadly complaining that on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays they must look
on light as a wave;  on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays as a particle.  On
Sundays, they simply prayed."  -- Banesh Hoffmann, The Strange Story of
the Quantum

------------------------------------------------------------------------ More trinkets than the 1996 Olympics. Fewer lines than the Goodwill Games ESPN gear, SportsCenter gear, NBA NHL MLB NCAA NFL gear, Memorabilia http://ads.egroups.com/click/147/0

E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/alliance-kernel Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com