Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:10:39 -0800 (PST)

On 22 Dec 1998, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> I think this kind of freedom is very valuable, and it is this freedom
> which I am emphasizing when I say I use _Linux_, not GNU/Linux.
>
> Linux: the freedom to be truly unique.

I think the bottom line is this. If I packaged Windows without any
Microsoft programs, with only GNU stuff that can port to Windows, I would
not be allowed to call it GNU/Windows. My butt would be hauled into court
and I would have to change it. I could not even call it GNU Windows. It is
Microsoft Windows. I am not allowed to change the name of someone elses
product. I could call it Windows with GNU software or GNU with Windows or
GNU for Windows but I could not call it GNU/Windows.

So, having said that, Red Hat Linux with GNU is ok as is Red Hat GNU for
Linux, or S.u.S.E. Linux and GNU but GNU and Linux are two different
things, Linux is not GNU and GNU is not Linux. There is no such thing as
GNU/Linux because GNU does not own Linux unless Linus says it does.

And that is the last I will post on the subject here.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!