/dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?

thunder7@xs4all.nl
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:58:53 +0000

> From: Steffen Grunewald <steffen@gfz-potsdam.de>
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:39:31 +0100 (MET)
> Subject: Re: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux

> |> Hmmm -- something like /dev/~zero would work, if you can stand non-
> |> alphanumeric characters in your filenames.
> (t)csh people won't like this (bash also uses ~ for $HOME, ~zero for
> user zero's HOME...).
> How about /dev/minusone :-) ?
> Or /dev/allones ...
>
> Steffen

Are there advantages in having something like /dev/repeat?

echo -n "echo this" > /dev/repeat

cat /dev/repeat
echo thisecho thisecho thisecho this

echo "echo this now" > /dev/repeat
cat /dev/repeat
echo this now
echo this now
echo this now
echo this now

etc.

Then everyone that needed some repeating pattern could just get that pattern.
Would this be workable, or are there problems in multi-user setups?

Ah well, I'm not a kernel-hacker, but I just think this is the logical conclusion here.....

Greetings,
Jurriaan