Re: Kernel 2.1.131 doesn't finish booting

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:05:51 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:

> I just recieved 4 new machines. They're dual Pentium II's with
> 128 Megs of RAM and SCSI with an Adaptec AIC-7881U controller. There's
> some cheap ATI video card in it as well.
>
> I installed RedHat 5.2 and then downloaded 2.1.131 and compiled
> it. When I rebooted, everything started up fine, but then, when it got to
> this line:
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 44k freed
>
> I got right after:
>
> Warning: Unable to open an initial console
> Kernel panic: No init found. (Try passing init= as an option to the
> kernel.)

This has become a FAQ. Look in /etc/lilo.conf and see what your
system expects to use as a kernel..... like:

boot = /dev/sda
compact
delay = 15 # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal # force sane state
root = current # use "current" root
image = /vmlinuz <====== This !!!!
label = linux
image = /vmlinuz.old
label = linux_old
other = /dev/sda1
table = /dev/sda
label = dos

The, if you made bzImage, copy if from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/
to overwrite the kernel. If you made zImage, do the same thing.

Then execute `lilo` with no command-line parameters. Yoy can also make
a bootable floppy as:

#
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /tmp/vmlinux
ROOTDEV=`df / | cut -d ' ' -f1 | sed -e1d`
echo -n 'Setting root device as ' ; echo ${ROOTDEV}
rdev -R /tmp/vmlinux 1
rdev /tmp/vmlinux ${ROOTDEV}
cp /tmp/vmlinux /dev/fd0
psupdate

(apologies to those who wrote in the past saying that the parsing
could be done with only one tool, this copy didn't get updated)

Make the bootable floppy first to see if there is anything wrong with
the kernel. If it boots and mounts your file-system, the kernel is
okay.

The symptoms you describe usually are caused by the last section of
the kernel being messed up during uncompression because the last
portion was not present in the map file, although the other sections
did occupy the same area the overwritten one did.

In other words, you must execute lilo any time you overwrite the
kernel.

If a bootable-floppy version of you kernel fails to find init, this
looks like something didn't link properly because there were some
old object files in your kernel. Make sure to do `make dep` and
`make clean` before you do `make bzImage`.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).