Re: ALR Q-SMP

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:28:41 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> Has anybody succesfully used a SMP-Kernel with such a machine?
> I have a ALR Q-SMP-PCI with 4 Pentium 166MMX CPUs.
>
> Kernel 2.1.131 says
>
> Booting processor 1 eip 2000
> Not responding
> Booting processor 2 eip 2000
> Not responding
> Booting processor 3 eip 2000
> Not responding

this is a mystery case which i once tried to remote-debug and fix, gave up
after some 50 patches or so ... This is the only box which i know we
should be able to boot on SMP, but we dont currently.

i have some new ideas since then but success is not guaranteed :) One
thing you could try is my 10000-threads patch, it initializes CPUs much
more conservatively and as a side-effect it could fix the above bug too.

another thing to try is to recompile the recently released LILO with the
SMALL_SEGMENTS (or something like that) option, LILO has a remote chance
to corrupt the mptable and associated per-CPU data ...

> Then it says that Pin 0,3,<One more,IIRC it was 12 or 13> from IO-APIC
> isn't connected.

(thats just a side-effect, we simply do not do the SMP-IPI stuff correctly
when one of the CPUs has failed. You could get it booting with some
patches, but it's just not worth it, the other 3 CPUs are not responding.)

if everything fails, let me know, there are a couple of more things to try
;) I'd really love to get that box booting properly.

-- mingo