Re: core files (was Re: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts)

Tor Arntsen (tor@spacetec.no)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:53:26 +0100

In article <fa.g9qfhdv.ehmug6@ifi.uio.no>,
"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> writes:
>Long term, I think the whole core file idea needs to be tossed in
>favor of just starting a debugger.

Horrors, no!

99% of the core files we're interested in where I work come from remote
sites running 24*7 operations, if a debugger started out there nobody would
know what to do with it. They don't even have source out there.
Instead we eventually get the cores over the net or by other means so we can
figure out the problem at some later time.

The world is not just a single-user desktop..

- Tor