Re: 2.1.131: Poor behavior when VM exhausted

Leo Papandreou (tarquin@texas.net)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 06:38:18 -0600 (EST)

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Eric Lee Green wrote:

> 2.1.131: System goes into a furious swap storm, when try to switch to
> another window "X" locks up, cannot move mouse pointer, reset switch
> time.
>
> Has anybody else noticed this?

I just caught it on it's way to oblivion. I had netscape window-shaded and
looked into things when system performance went the way of the dodo while
starting up an rxvt. The swap thread was sucking 40% CPU and VM usage was
upwards of 8 MB when I killed netscape.

This also sounds vaguely like what happened with tkmidi on a Cirrus card.
The close window caused the X server to go nuts, sucking enough CPU time
to throw off mouse updates and leave the system screwed.

> --
> Eric Lee Green eric@linux-hw.com http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
> "Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission
> critical applications..." -- internal Microsoft memo

John Allensworth --- tarquin@texas.net --- ReaperMan on the QuakeServers
Author of XtraWeapons (except the homing missile, eject, and throwing axe)
Industrial Strength Gaming http://www.uk.digiserve.com/whiteoak/punktc/
Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.