Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:44:26 +1300

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 09:02:30PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> This is true if (and only if) you are in U.S. Right?

I believe some parts of Europe are also clueless.

> In such case it would probably be good idea if "patenet-breaking"
> code was developed here in Europe... I do not know if using apps
> produced by european people would be then legal for u.s. people,
> but even good apps for us europeans would be good thing (tm) :-).

This is actually a really good idea -- people who are in the free
world can develop additional/better feature for linux. If the people
in the US don't like it -- then they can lobby their own government
about it

> [It would be also kicker for U.S. government: if there are better
> programs for european people than there are for U.S. people, it
> will hurt U.S. for sure :)]

This happens already -- as much as I like to see the US patent system
get a clue, I can't see it happening.

I've been on both sides of the fence and worked with lawyers getting
patents, the people who do this often have worse ethics than sewer
rats.

-cw