Re: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 23:12:59 +1100

Peter Miller writes:

> Richard Gooch writes...
> > Peter Miller writes:
> > > You have to indirect the whole tree, no just the top-level directory,
> > > otherwise 'pwd' goes bozo - e.g. loopback a read-only version of
> > > /usr into a chrooted environment.
> >
> > Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean that the whole mounted
> > lofs has to be indirected, or the entire filespace does?
>
> Basicly, my implementation is a "proxy" layer. Each inode contains
> a reference to the "underlying" inode. Each VFS methods is proxied
> (in the same sense as a firewall proxy) into the "original"
> filesystem. This may be what the "brute force" approcach alluded
> to, but I'm not certain.

I think so, if I understand what you're saying. You keep "thin" inodes
in your filter FSes (like lofs). For each entry in the dcache for the
mounted lofs (for example), you have a thin inode which has a
reference to the underlying inode?

> This is the way the BSD "null" file system works (having talked to
> the author). It does not impose a significant penalty, as there is
> almost nothing to do! But you have to do it often, once for each
> method, slightly differently each time.

Oh, yeah. Just what do the "nullfs" and "deadfs" filesystems in BSD
do, anyway?

> By "API" I mean a calling interface. E.g. the clients of the VFS
> are littered with
>
> if (inode->i_op && inode->i_op->method)
> err = inode->i_op->method(inode, ...)
> else
> err = -ESOMETHING;
>
> and it would be tidier, and more maintainable, if they said
>
> err = vfs_method(inode, ...);
>
> instead. This also allows insulation from VFS changes, by having
> the tests for numerous alternative i_op functions be elegantly
> concealed within the vfs_* wrapper, most modern alternative first.

Nice.

> Other filters include recode on filenames, recode on text data (two
> filters, stack 'em if you want both), dos-izing and un-dos-izing
> text files, ... The list goes on. But that's all window dressing;
> my big interest is hierachical storage management.

Oh! Great! That's also one of the projects I had in my ToDo/wish
list. HSM for Linux would be fantastic!

[Lots of other good ideas snipped. Wonderful creativity]

Regards,

Richard....