Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:33:40 -0500 (EST)

Mike A. Harris writes:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>> IBM needs a way to tightly bind a patent license to the source code.
>> Without that, they are afraid to contribute. IBM might even want to
>> specifically tie patents to Linux. (not also gcc, HURD, emacs...)
>
> Then we don't need/want anything from IBM. Let them die a slow
> death after Microsoft's own slow death from W2K.

IBM gets thousands of patents every year. They have the one needed
for strong JPEG compression and the original (better) bzip. Oh yes,
we really do need things from IBM.

It would be really stupid to not consider making them comfortable.
Maybe they would want too much, but at least we ought to be willing
to consider making a deal. They might just want less ambiguity.