Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Chip Salzenberg (chip@perlsupport.com)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:27:57 -0500

According to George Bonser:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > According to Aaron Lehmann:
> > > I am afraid that large, proprietary companies with intrest in the
> > > Linux market will lead to the death of GNU/Linux.
> >
> > The character of the community will change. But the code will always
> > be there, and so recovery will always be possible.
>
> There is no such thing as GNU/Linux at the kernel level, that is more at
> the distribution level.

Naming aside, my point is that open source software is always, well,
open -- open to be picked up and carried by new interested parties.
Even more, the GPL subset of the open source pool can't spawn private
forks; this is even stronger insurance.

So I don't worry about corporate interference. Not yet, anyway.

--
Chip Salzenberg      - a.k.a. -      <chip@perlsupport.com>
      "When do you work?"   "Whenever I'm not busy."