Re: WordPerfect 8 "Review"

Stephen C. Tweedie (nobody@vitelus.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:57:43 -0800

Thus spake the Wise Fool who can't rebind his keys:

>WordPerfect just sucks. I downloaded it yesterday to try it out. I learned
>never to intall proprietary software again.

Once upon a time, while our beloved Linus was yet wearing diapers, there was an
operating system called CP/M. The wonderful WordStar ran on CP/M. Ah, those were

the days... CP/M thence begat DOS, and WordStar saw CP/M begin to die, and thus
moved to DOS. Then one salty day in Utah, WordPerfect was born.

Little did Billy Gates know who he was speaking to when he declared Word the
greatest. The Great King WordPerfect looked lowly upon the newcomer who referred

to himself simply as Word, and declared, "You suck!" And it was so.

When DOS begat Windows, WordPerfect saw DOS begin to die, and moved to Windows.
>From thence over the great salty flats came the one who spoke the strange tongue

of the IPX. The odd one had mucho moola, and said to the WordPerfect, "you are
now mine!" And it was so.

The strange one who spoke the IPX could not understand Billy Gates as he spoke
his native NetBEUI, and was not able to sell his WordPerfect. In the tongue that

was now understood by all from the sword's might, Billy Gates was able to sell
his lowly Word as it appeared to be all that there was in the known world. And
so the one who spoke the IPX could not sell WordPerfect, and instead was greeted

by a frosty one who claimed to come from a barren, socially progressive land.
The frosty one said, "Would you be mine, eh?" And it was so.

>From its perch high upon the world's largest icepik, the frosty one was able to
see on the horizon the death of Windows in the pale face of a young Penguin. And

so he moved WordPerfect to the place from whence the Penguin said he came. And
the Penguin said, "gott sum beeer?" The WordPerfect looked oddly at him, then
said, "You mean, 'got some beer?' eh?" And the Penguin looked back at him even
more oddly than the WordPerfect could have imagined and said, "You're pretty
cool. What say you pay off my student loans and then we go and take over the
world together?"

WordPerfect just smiled a knowing smile at the Penguin, and said, "Eh?"

>It looks ugly and Motify (I know some people who actually like how motif
>looks but I fail to understand them). It has lots of useless features like
>automatic corrections as you type. It has a dirty license (wp was the only
>binary on my machine other than netscape that is not free (RMS style
>free)). For some reason, the backspace key does not work for me, my only
>way to delete text is to go to the beginning of the section to delete and
>hold down the delete key (by the way, i never agreed with the pc
>convention of naming the delete key backspace. On the mac I am sitting
>at, there are two delete keys, one that is the pc equivilent of
>backspace and another that is only there for pc compatibility. the first
>time someone asked me where the backspace key was on my computer i
>thought he was refering to the left arrow :). WordPerfect wanted
>me to be root to modify any settings, hardly an elegant or safe aproach.

-Ok, so Motif looks ugly. Maybe the Lesstif people should be shot then, right?
-Laziness is the greatest mother an invention can have. Spel badli, aht foor
o'click in teh murnong, on a beig phukeng turm papr, adn ti fixis it.
-Realize that commercial software is not perfect, but if *someone* ain't making
the cash to fund us, then we'll all be very soon visited by the Student Loan
Repossessions Agency. That would be bad.
-Ok, look bud, if you can't even figure out how to rebind your key codes, why
the hell are you running a dev kernel? ...or *any* kernel whose name starts with

an L, has an INU in the middle, and an X at the end?

>If anyone is looking for a _GOOD_ word processor that is free of dirty
>licenses and doesnt take 60 megabytes on your hard disk, check out
>http://www.abisource.com for information about AbiWord, a GPL'd, GTK based
>word processor in
>development.

Sure, I love explaining to my potential employers about how my resume is plain,
simply, and devoid of dirtily licensed formatting.

Nothing against new development on the forefront of usability, but when you just

can't seem to find that good old IBM Selectric, not doing your typing at all is
a little bit past overkill... and rather on the stupid side.

>Oh yes, and did I forget to mention that NerdPerfect feels and acts like a
>windoze application? Not only does it resemble the look and feel of
>office, but as it is quoted below, WordPerfect was a bit scared to
>install onto a newer OS than was currently available at ship time. That
>doesn't seem to work too well when Alan Cox is releasing a new patch
>every day. I am not suprized that the author of the review was
>running KDE, he obviously does not care about windows-likeness or how much
>freedom the license grants him. (He also says he was running netscape ...
>which is also not free)

Did I forget to mention that WordPerfect WAS a Windows application? Gee... do ya

think that maybe, just *maybe* it was a lot of effort to get the code base to
even _compile_ under Linux? Gosh, perhaps it was.

Methinks that releasing a major commercial word processor compiled on a
machine running kernel 2.1.41 would be a bad idea. Oh, wait, here's a good
solution: they should just release a new 23 MB download every other day to keep
up with Linus and Alan as they change the kernel's inner workings and
fundamental interfaces!

>Well until AbiWord is stable enough for everyday use, I'm sticking with
>emacs :-)

And until emacs becomes easy to use for normal people, I'm sticking with vi.

Yours Truly,
Aaron Stone