Re: mmap() is slower than read() on SCSI/IDE on 2.0 and 2.1

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:08:38 +0100

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 06:52:50AM +0000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Umm, the easiest hint is probably to just look at the faulting address.
> We have it available, after all.
>
> I suspect that such a simple heuristic would be fairly accurate, and it
> can be coupled with other heuristics to further increase the accuracy.

file copy, yes. But grep (and probably lots of others) don't access memory
sequentially (as faster search algorithms exist)

It _is_ a great idea that should be benchmarked first, though ;)

The choice of a GNU generation |