Re: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts

Mirian Crzig Lennox (mirian@xensei.com)
18 Dec 1998 14:00:07 -0500

David Feuer <dfeuer@mbhs.edu> writes:

> Never saw the original message, but I have always been bothered by the
> directory labeled core/ (Is it in net? or sound? can't remember). core
> is a terrible name for anything but a core-file. In fact, core isn't even
> a good name for a core file (I think the core-file name should include the
> executable file name and the PID). Something like
> core-:usr:local:bin:netscape-23452 would be nice..... Feel free to
> replace colons with anything else (periods would be nice too).

BSD unix since 4.4 prepends the name of the executable to ".core".
I've found it quite useful (and lifesaving on those rare occasions
when you're debugging a core file and your debugger itself dumps
core).

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.