Re: Linux and lots of memory: documentation?

Pavel Janik ml. (Pavel.Janik@inet.cz)
17 Dec 1998 23:35:34 +0100

From: Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:48:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

> Perhaps the enclosed patch (against 2.1.131ac13) would come in useful
> here. It basically adds a configuration option in "Processor type and

> --- linux/include/asm-i386/page.h.orig Thu Apr 9 02:05:18 1998
> +++ linux/include/asm-i386/page.h Thu Dec 17 20:58:28 1998

have you ever tried it? It can not do anything useful - please read
the comment in linux/include/asm-i386/page.h :

* IF YOU CHANGE THIS, PLEASE ALSO CHANGE
*
* arch/i386/vmlinux.lds
*
* which has the same constant encoded..

But I do not agree that even with this change it's enough - do you (to
all kernel developers) have access to any machine with more than 1G
RAM? Do you tested it with patches you suggest?

We are now running 4/SMP with 1G and except normal patches (more
processes, MegaRAID, ...) we must also apply other patches to make it
work (well, 2.0.29 worked ok, but we loose our power).

I can make all of our patches available somewhere when requested. Any
comments.

--
Pavel Janik ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz