Re: Is it legal for me to do that?

Major'Trips' (major@jimco-fwt.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:16:08 -0600

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 01:15:00PM +0100, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Kurt Garloff wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 01:16:34AM -0500, papiraki@kdb.ml.org wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am a student in computer sciences, and I've been asked to do my
> > > final project on the wonderfull world of OSs, more specifictly, I
> > > have to take the pc-xinu "Opperating System" and make it better.
> > >
> > > Some of the features I have to develop is virtual memory, file
> > > system and I have to write a boot loader, and, also, if I have
> > > time, it would be nice to make it load some programs into memory
> > > and execute them and also to check for permissions for file access.
> >
> > Well, you asked whether it is legal to use Linux sources to do that.
> >
> > I think it is, as long as you leave Copyright messages etc. intact. This
> > implies that you have to tell everybody that you used Linux sources to do
> > your job.
> that's not enough! Linux is GPL'ed, that means that _all_ software which
> uses source-code-pieces from it or is linked against (parts of) it has to
> be under GPL too. (If you want to survive: don't discuss this with RMS -
> he looks much closer on GPL-paragraphs than any other :-) )
>
> > Go and check with your supervisor, if they allow you to do that.
> >
> > I guess no: They want you to do your own thing.
>
> Just try to ask that for permission to write some Linux-extensions.
> Another filesystem and another executable-format (eg. an extended ELF
> would be nice). An easier to handle LILO or ..............

Speaking of LILO. This might be fairly old news ... But I boot
Via a SCSI drive and added a spare IDE drive to the system recently.
Now I find I have to unmount all the ide mount points &&
"alias ide-disk off" in the /etc/conf.modules && modprobe -r ide-disk
then run lilo else Lilo complains about the SCSI Not beeing the first
device in the boot order. Now .. unfortunately I understand this is how
life used to be .. but I also know that I have never cared nor has
the kernel ever cared that I don't select the IDE Device geometries
in the BIOS and allow the SCSI to boot the system and then let Linux
find the IDE devices. Anyone know a simple way around this problem?

> This way it would (IMHO) have two advantages: you can profit from a
> running system which is very stable and proved. Your writings would get
> back to community and would (perhaps) get used.
>
> > You can still profit from your Linux knowledge. Go and read the Linux
> > sources and try to understand the concepts. I think most authors of the
> > source code will help you understand it, when you ask them. And of course,
> > nobody prevents you from using some of the concepts. Science is not about
> > ignoring intelligent thoughts by others!
> > Also Tanenbaum is your friend, of course.
>
> Konrad
>
> -

   "Reality is what you can get away with!"
                      ++Robert Anton Wilson
   Major'Trips'
   E-Mail   : shadow@cyberwizards.com || major@jimco-fwt.com