Re: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

Nathan Hand (nathanh@wookie.chirp.com.au)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:41:54 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Nathan Hand writes:
>
> > Plus you always have the option of creating raw IO in a new tree or
> > as a standalone kernel module.
>
> You can't expect Oracle to support unofficial kernel patches.
> I doubt many people would want to run a video server on unofficial
> kernel patches either. It's not a safe way to run your business.
> (you might need to make use of the GPL, with your own developers)

I mightn't have made this clear before. One of the points I was trying
to make was that Linux is under no obligation to support Oracle. There
is no race here to support applications. Linux can continue along at a
cautious relaxed pace, and still win.

Linux wins if anybody uses it. Not if it becomes the best platform for
Oracle, or the most common operating system, or includes more features
than any other "competitor". Linux wins if the developers enjoy coding
it, and indirectly wins if some users enjoy using it.

This is why I made the point that pressuring Linus to include features
like raw IO "NOW! because we must get Oracle's blessing or users might
use another operating system" is unfair to Linus *and* Linux. It's not
a war here. There's no reason to be the only player.

Other problems, like Alan's need to get dma into user space, and needs
to get zero copy on write for networking, are far more interesting. It
is, to my mind, more sensible to find a solution that solves all these
problems in a neat way. It looks like smarter sendfile() might be it.