Re: TCPv4 bad checksum in 2.1.131-ac8/9/10

J. S. Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:35:14 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 08:18:56AM +0000, Paul Flinders wrote:
> > Is anyone else seeing bad checksums in recent kernels?
>
> Yes. The recent slews really are bad packets coming in.
> I.e., someone (me) did some checksums by hand on raw packets to check.
>
> (Unless there's something really subtle going on in the kernel,
> corrupting the raw packet data but passing the PPP CRC).
>
> > I don't seem to have lost any data so I'm wondering if it's a hardware
> > problem but I've only noticed it in the last 2 days (since I installed
> > ac 8 or 9)
>
> Do you get it consistently enough to check if using an older kernel
> makes it go away?

If I can throw my $0.02 in here, I also am seeing TCPv4 Bad Checksum
messages. They appear to occur most frequently during periods of high disk
or CPU load. The bizarre thing is that sending a SIGUSR2 to pppd
("renegotiate compression") makes them go away.

In more severe cases I've seen pppd get confused and think it's seeing its
own LCP echo requests. The only solution I've found for that so far is to
HUP pppd. (I've also seen pppd start spewing out errors about unrecognized
protocol types, but that's very rare.)

I'm running kernel 2.1.125 right now; I've got 2.1.131ac11 built, just
haven't rebooted into it yet. (I'll do so tonight when I get home from
work, and send y'all an update.) Hardwarewise, I have an internal non-PnP
Zoom 28k8 modem. (I hate internals, but I haven't got American power
supplies for my modems yet.)

I also haven't tried Andrea[s] Arcangeli's patch that went through the list
yesterday that supposedly fixes the problem.

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell | Networking/Telecommunications Engineer, GXC
ankh@canuck.gen.nz   | PGP key at http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html