Re: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:50:26 +0000

Alexander Viro writes ("Re: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal"):
> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Peter Benie wrote:
> > One of the 'gotchas' when implementing lofs is that when calling
> > open() on a directory, you have to store the looped back dentry; this
> > makes open() quite different to other fs operations. This is because
> > you don't want fchdir() to the wrong copy of the dentry, especially if
> > you are in a chrooted environment.
>
> Nah. Not the way to go - what we need is a *stack* of dentries.

I'm not sure. If you really mean a stack, 'ls -R' could use a lot of
resources. There are ways of achieving the same effect with much fewer
resources, but most systems solve the problem by allowing you to
loopback only once.

Peter