Re: Fujitsu can't work properly in UDMA2 mode

Vladimir Volovich (vvv@vvv.vsu.ru)
15 Dec 1998 22:55:41 +0300

"V" == Vinche writes:

V> Symthoms: 1. When I'm trying to repartition disk(Fujitsu 4.3G
V> UDMA2) and making 3 partitions(2G,128M Swap,2G - hda1,hda2,hda3
V> respectively) on reread partition table I'm getting hda1,hda2,hda4
V> partitions with sizes 128M,2G,1.3T(1000G) respectively.
[]
V> I resolved that disabling UDMA2 in bios makes almost all ok but
V> after booting in a few minutes kernel resets /dev/hda and disables
V> DMA which slows down system perfomance. After this I can fdisk
V> normally and install Linux. Rebooting many times shows no errors.

V> Is this a known bug of Fujitsu drives or maybe it is problem other
V> than UDMA2.

i had similar problems with Fujitsu drives; they appeared to be
because of overclocking: when base freq. is set to 83 MHz, (some)
Fujitsu HDDs do not work in UDMA mode. They work if either

* the computer is not overclocked (66 MHz; i did not try 75 MHz after
a crash ;); in this case UDMA works fine

or

* the computer is overclocked (75 MHz or 83 MHz), but you are not
using UDMA.

Please, let me know if your problems were due to overclocking, too. :)

Best regards, -- Vladimir.