Re: clock too slow (6 times !) in kernel 2.0.36+ (Xeon450/permedia2)

storner@image.dk
15 Dec 1998 10:34:35 +0100

In <Pine.LNX.4.05.9812150814410.29586-100000@ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be> Bert de Bruijn <bob@ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

>A strange problem occurs on a Xeon-450 we have here (running RedHat 5.2) :
>the machine has a Permedia 2 AGP video card, that gets set to IRQ10 by
>the BIOS.
>The kernel clock runs fine, until I start X (XFree86-3DLabs-3.3.3). After
>that, the clock runs about six times too slow.
>So it takes about 6 seconds before there have been 100 timer interrupts.

I've seen this reported on a local (danish) LUG list. It appears to be
a problem with the X server mistakenly reprogramming the timer chip
to interrupt at a different rate. In other words, it is an X server
bug, not a kernel bug.

--
Henrik Storner
                              Praetra censeo, Microsoftem esse delendam!