Re: Minor request for enhancement: "beep on halt"

Jason A. Pfeil (pfeil@nu.cs.fsu.edu)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:22:31 -0500 (EST)

In addition to this, on the manpage for shutdown(8), it states that
shutdown triggers the init process to handle the shutdown. shutdown(8)
itself handling the killing of processes is deprecated and not recommended
as it is not predictable. I am in the process of verifying this by
looking at the SRPM from RedHat5.2.

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Stephen Harris wrote:

> Richard Gooch writes:
> > Jason A. Pfeil writes:
>
> > > Shutdown just calls a routine in the kernel to handle the shutdown before
> > > it is killed itself. Therefore, this ability needs to be in the kernel
>
> > Sorry, I don't agree. The shutdown(8) programme is what kills all
> > processes, unmounts filesystems, remounts the root FS read-only, syncs
> > the discs and then calls reboot(2) which halts/reboots.
>
> Could this code be in shutdown(8) ? Hmm, no... there is always the
> possibility that the kernel may need to perform some other "clean up" work.
> Surely this is the concept behind the notifier_call_chain() calls inside
> sys_reboot().
>
> For example, the wdt driver turns off the card at shutdown time. If the
> shutdown(8) program never calls sys_reboot() then the card is never turned
> off, and a watchdog reset could occur. Not good :-) It could cause a
> reboot! Some other drivers also hook into the reboot_notifier_list to
> perform a cleanup on shutdown.
>
> No... the kernel needs to perform a full shutdown, and so the "beep on
> halt" has to be in the kernel.
>
> Stephen Harris
> sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk http://www.spuddy.org/
> The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
> My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.
> * Meeeeow ! Call Spud the Cat on > 01268 515441 < for free Usenet access *

----
Jason A. Pfeil pfeil@cs.fsu.edu
Information Systems Developer jpfeil@lsi.fsu.edu
CASDL (850)644-8014; fax: (850)644-4952
Learning Systems Institute University Center C-3527
http://idl.fsu.edu Tallahassee, FL 32306-2540