Re: [2.1.131-ac10] Oops and more lockups

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:43:46 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Jochen Heuer wrote:

> > hm, in case this is GCC 2.7.2.3, were you untarring the kernel source on a
> > slightly overclocked box maybe?
>
> The system is not overclocked but after I had sent the message I
> remembered that I had changed the bios settings a little bit. Reversing
> those changes seems to help. But I had several oops with plain 2.1.131
> which were in find_buffer too, so I did not suspect my hardware first
> (Those oops happened even with the slow memory timings).

find_buffer() is typically a good crash-candidate for slightly buggy
hardware (memory), because it goes through a potentially large number of
randomly placed buffer heads with a high frequency. I've also seen it
crash more often in connection with IDE-DMA related bugs, so maybe
running for a while with disabled DMA (hdparm -d0) helps finding the
problem too.

-- mingo